Here is the hypertext version of the Sourdough FAQ Question & Answers. The text version is posted periodically to Usenet newsgroup rec.food.sourdough.
and Where are the FAQs?
2. Table of Contents
3. What is the protein or gluten content of various flours?
4. What are some books on bread?
5. What is gluten and how is it developed?
6. How do wild and commercial yeast differ?
7. Can I make bread without salt?
8. How do I stop my sourdough bread from flattening?
9. Can I use chlorinated water with my starter?
10. Does temperature of the starter have an effect on flavour?
11. What is diastatic malt?
12. What is meant by % hydration of a dough
13. What is a sponge?
14. What is the difference between sourdough methods?
15. How do I make soft buns?
16. How should I feed my starter for best results?
17. Are all starters the same?
18. What about Nancy Silverton's latest book?
19. How do I get that great crust?
20. How much starter do I need to keep?
21. Sourdough Science 101
22. What is the Microbiology of San Francisco Sourdough?
23. What about Ed Wood's latest book?
24. How can I start a starter from scratch?
25. How do I get holey, sour, moist and long keeping bread?
26. Is slashing of loaves aesthetic or functional?
27. How do lactic bacteria affect sourdough bread?
28. What is hooch? Refrigerator hooch? What do I do with it?
29. How can I determine the proportion of flour in my starter?
30. How can I ship my starter to someone else?
31. How do I get that lofty loaf?
32. What is San Francisco Sourdough?
33. What temperature should my starter be for best results?
34. Can I freeze or dry my starter?
35. What happens if I start my starter with commercial yeast?
36. What do all these baker's terms mean?
37. What is the relationship between temperature and activity?
38. Is there a glossary of rec.food.sourdough terms?
39. What factors affect microbial growth in sourdough?
40. Should I use an established starter or make my own starter
41. Can I use metal utensils with sourdough?
42. What is a good source for technical information?
43. How do I convert yeast bread recipes to SD recipes?
44. What is meant by a "fully activated" starter?
45. What about Dan Wing's new book "The Bread Builders"?
46. What's all this about natural leaven?
47. How does one measure the ph of sourdough?
48. Should I use more than one rise for my bread?
49. What is Salt Rising Bread?
Sourdough FAQs|Darrell Greenwood's Home Page
This page was last updated on Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 7:53:05 PM.
Links changed to carlsfriends.net 10/8/16