Subject: 2. Table of Contents
1. Introduction and Where are the FAQs?
2. Table of Contents
3. What is the protein or gluten content of various flours?
4. What are some books on bread?
5. What is gluten and how does kneading develop it?
6. How do wild and commercial yeast differ?
7. Can I make bread without salt?
8. How do I stop my sourdough bread from flattening?
9. Can I use chlorinated water with my starter?
10. Does temperature of the starter have an effect on flavour?
11. What is diastatic malt?
12. What is meant by % hydration of a dough?
13. What is a sponge?
14. What is the difference between 'Classical' and 'Modern' sourdough?
15. How do I make soft buns?
16. How should I feed my starter for best results?
17. Are all starters the same?
18. What about Nancy Silverton's latest book?
19. How do I get that great crust?
20. How much starter do I need?
21. Sourdough Science 101 or How are the sourness and leavening of starters related?
22. What is the Microbiology of San Francisco Sourdough?
23. What about Ed Wood's latest edition of his book?
24. How can I start a starter from scratch?
25. How do I get holey, sour, moist and long keeping bread?
26. Is slashing of loaves aesthetic or functional?
27. How do lactic bacteria affect sourdough bread?
28. What is hooch? Refrigerator hooch? What do I do with it?
29. How can I determine the proportion of flour and water to use in my starter and dough?
30. How can I ship my starter to someone else?
31. How do I get that lofty loaf?
32. What is San Francisco Sourdough?
33. What temperature should my starter be for best results?
34. Can I freeze or dry my starter?
35. What happens if I start my starter with commercial yeast?
36. What do all these baker's terms like poolish, biga, chef, mean?
37. What is the relationship between temperature and sourdough activity?
38. Is there a glossary of rec.food.sourdough terms?
39. What factors affect microbial growth in sourdough
40. Should I use an established starter or make my own starter?
41. Can I use metal utensils with sourdough?
42. What is a good source for technical information on sourdough starters?
43. How do I convert yeast bread recipes to SD recipes?
44. What is meant by a "fully activated" starter?
45. What about Dan Wing's new book "The Bread Builders"?
46. What's all this about natural leaven and L. sanfranciscensis?
47. How does one measure the ph of sourdough, and what is the effect of different ph's?
48. Should I use more than one rise for my bread?
49. What is Salt Rising Bread?
Sourdough QA|Sourdough FAQs|Darrell Greenwood's Home Page
Links changed to carlsfriends.net 10/8/16